DECISION No. 409/QD-TTg OF MAY 27, 2002 RATIFYING THE READJUSTED GENERAL PLANNING OF DA LAT CITY, LAM DONG PROVINCE, AND ITS ADJACENT AREAS TO 2020
THE PRIME MINISTER
Pursuant to the Law on Organization of the Government of December 25, 2001;
Pursuant to the Urban Planning Management Regulation issued together with the Government’s Decree No.91/CP of August 17, 1994;
At the proposals of the president of the People’s Committee of Lam Dong province in Report No.3991/TTr-UB of December 4, 2001 and the Construction Minister in Official Dispatch No.2259/BXD-KTQH of December 18, 2001,
Article 1.- To ratify the readjusted general planning of Da Lat city, Lam Dong province, and its adjacent areas to 2020 with the following principal contents:
1. Scope of the general planning readjustment:
The readjustment of the general planning of Da Lat city and its adjacent areas covers all the city’s administrative boundaries (including 12 wards and 3 communes) and adjacent areas (including Lac Duong, Duc Trong, Don Duong and Lam Ha districts), with the total land area of 96,914 ha, of which Da Lat city occupies 39,104 ha and its adjacent areas- 57,810 ha.
2. Characteristics: Da Lat city has the following five characteristics:
a/ Being the political-administrative, economic, cultural and service center and an important economic exchange hub, the capital of Lam Dong province.
b/ Being one of the tourist, especially sightseeing, convalescence, conference, seminar and ecological-tourism centers of the region and the whole country.
c/ Being one of the multi-branch training centers, a major scientific research center of the whole country.
d/ Being a high-quality vegetable and flower-producing and processing zone in service of domestic and export demands.
e/ Occupying an important position for national security and defense.
3. Size of population:
By the year 2020, the population of Da Lat city and its adjacent areas shall be 432,700, of which the urban population shall be 201,000, the suburban population - 27,000, the population of the adjacent areas - 154,700, and the tourist- converted population- 50,000 (2,000,000 tourists/year).
4. Construction-land size:
- By 2005: Land area for urban construction shall be around 16,744.4 ha with the norm of 1,046.5 m2/person, of which the civil-use land area shall be around 1,280.5 ha with the norm of 80 m2/person.
- By 2020: Land area for urban construction shall be around 17,836.8 ha with the norm of 887.4 m2/person, of which the civil-use land area shall be around 1,474 ha with the norm of 73.3 m2/person.
5. Orientations for spatial development and urban landscape architecture:
a/ Orientation for the city development: The city shall be developed to the following 4 major directions:
- To the west-northwest: To develop Dan Kia- Suoi Vang tourist resort, the surrounding support areas and Cam Ly- Mang Lin tourist resort.
- To the south- southeast: To develop the tourist resort of Tuyen Lam lake; and industrial clusters for cultivation and agricultural product processing along national highway No. 20 to Lien Khuong international airport.
- To the east: To develop an industrial cluster for vegetable, flower and farm produce processing and a number of small exploitation and processing industrial zones.
- To the north- northeast: To develop ecological tourism in Da Sa, Da Chay forests of Lac Duong district and Bi Dup- Nui Ba nature preservation area.
b/ The functional quarters:
- The population quarters include:
+ The limited development zone: shall include the former downtown, bordered by the outlying roads with around 533.2 ha, which shall be renovated and embellished by relocating a number of polluting factories, enterprises and warehouses and a number of houses lying along streams, which fail to ensure the environmental conditions. To minimize the development of block houses along the sides of newly-opened roads.
+ The new development zones: shall be developed after the model of mini residential quarters in the already planned areas, in line with the city’s general development projects. The new residential quarters shall be built on the hills, uncovered by natural forests and having slopes favorable for technical infrastructure construction, which may be exploited for use as residential land, including: residential quarter No.1 (ward 8); residential quarter No.2 (wards 7 and 8); residential quarter No.3 (ward 7); residential quarter No.4 (ward 5); residential quarter No.5 (ward 4); and residential quarter No.6 (ward 11).
+ To develop a number of residential quarters in such satellite urban areas as Dran and Thanh My townships of Don Duong district; Finom T-junction and Lien Nghia township of Duc Trong district; and Dinh Van and Nam Ban townships of Lam Ha district.
- The convalescence and tourist resorts: including the existing tourist resorts, which shall be renovated and embellished in wards 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 9 and 10; to renovate and turn the hotels along Le Hong Phong street into the conference and seminar service centers; to develop new tourist resorts, including Tuyen Lam resort in wards 3 and 4, the Love Valley in ward 8, Than Tho lake and Me Linh lake in wards 9 and 12, Prenn and Datanla waterfalls in ward 3; Cam Ly waterfall and Cam Ly tourist resort in wards 5 and 7; Hang Cop waterfall in Xuan Tho commune; Vong and Upper Cam Ly waterfalls in Ta Nung commune; and Mang Lin tourist resort in ward 7.
Besides, in the adjacent areas, to develop a large tourist site at Dan Kia- Suoi Vang and Lang Bian mountain of Lac Duong district, and a number of other tourist sites.
- Industrial zones and warehouses:
+ Enterprises currently engaged in production, if meeting the planning’s requirements, shall be retained but must not affect the urban environment; Trai Mat industrial park (under the 1994 project) shall be readjusted along the direction of not exploiting kaolin mines on a large scale.
+ The suburban industrial zones shall be located in Xuan Truong and Xuan Tho communes.
+ The industrial parks shall be developed along national highway No. 20, in the areas of Duc Trong district, mainly for clean industries.
+ In other satellite urban areas, to expand and develop industrial clusters in service of farm produce, vegetable and fruit processing.
- The system of centers:
+ The headquarters of the provincial and municipal administrative-political centers such as the provincial/municipal People’s Council, People’s Committee and provincial Party Committee shall basically not be relocated. To upgrade and renovate the headquarters of the municipal People’s Committee. The headquarters of Da Lat’s municipal Party Committee shall be relocated to the northwest of Cu hill while its current location in Pho Duc Chinh street is to be renovated into a tourist site.
+ The system of public service centers shall be organized into three levels with the daily-, periodical- and irregular-service works. The irregular service works shall be scattered in the inner city at Da Lat market and Hoa Binh area (with an area of around 141 ha); the periodical-service works shall be arranged in association with the system of centers of the functional quarters and residential quarters; and the daily-service works shall be arranged in association with the residential quarters.
+ The international conference and seminar center shall be located in ward 10, to the east of Xuan Huong lake.
+ The international trade center shall be located in ward 10, to the south of Xuan Huong lake.
- The specialized centers:
+ The training schools and research institutes shall occupy a land area of around 155.73 ha, of which research institutes shall occupy 53 ha while universities, colleges and intermediate vocational-training schools- 74.73 ha, with their current locations kept status quo; to build a new people-founded university in ward 7.
+ The medical and convalescence centers shall include the medical stations and general consultation clinics, to be located rationally, and the provincial general hospital, to be upgraded. To build a new high-grade healthcare service center on Ngoc Hoang hill, ward 4, to the west of Palace III in the south of the city.
+ The physical training and sport centers: To relocate the sport center to the north of the city, in ward 7. To build a national and South Vietnam regional athlete training center in Phuoc Thanh.
+ The cultural centers shall occupy a land area of around 175.6 ha, including museums, cultural centers, children’s houses, theatres, libraries, palaces, pagodas, churches and monasteries, with investment in the construction and embellishment thereof. To build new squares, opera house, youth’s house of culture, laborers’ house of culture, monuments, open-air stages, and Vietnamese nationalities’ cultural complex.
+ The national security and defense zones shall kept in status quo regarding their current locations and sizes.
- The greenery, cultural and forest park system shall occupy an area of around 11,836.8 ha, including:
+ The existing parks, which shall be renovated on an area of 94.5 ha and arranged in wards 1, 2, 8, 9 and 12.
- The new parks, which shall occupy a land area of 66.5 ha, including the central park, Van Kiep, Chien Thang, Da Thien, Than Tho and Me Linh parks, and the southern Xuan Huong lake park, to be located in wards 1, 2, 7, 8, 10 and 12.
+ The system of forest parks covering a land area of 11,650.8 ha.
+ The vegetable- or flower-growing zones in the inner city, which shall occupy a total land area of 2,987 ha, to be scattered in the inner wards.
c/ On urban architecture and landscape:
To study and zone off the architectural landscapes and prescribe in detail the architectural management criteria for different zones in order to protect natural zones, preserve pine forests, open-air water surface, geomorphological conditions, and other particularities of the Central Highlands’ natural landscape; preserve valuable architectural works; embellish and renovate the former downtown; develop new and modern architecture, imbued with national identities and local traditions.
6. Planning orientations for technical infrastructure development:
a/ On communications:
- Land roads:
+ To renovate and upgrade national highway No. 20 from Da Lat to Ho Chi Minh City, renovate and expand the road section from Lien Khuong airport to Prenn pass with four motor lanes. To restore one section of the old national highway No. 20B, from Prenn waterfall to Da Lat. To renovate and put to use provincial road 723, linking Da Lat city directly to Nha Trang city. To renovate and upgrade provincial road 722 from Da Lat to Dak Lak. To renovate and upgrade provincial road 725, connecting Da Lat, Ta Nung, Nam Ban, national highway 27 and national highway 27B. To renovate and perfect the inter- and intra-provincial car terminals. To build the Cam Ly route linking to Dan Kia- Suoi Vang tourist site.
+ The inner city’s traffic: shall cover a length of 185 km, of which 163.8 km shall be renovated and upgraded, and 21.2 km shall be built strictly based on the natural terrain in the radial form. To renovate, upgrade and build new roads leading to the tourist and convalescence sites, the technical infrastructure of Dan Kia, Suoi Vang and Tuyen Lam tourist resorts and the system of inner city’s car parks.
+ To build and restore the Da Lat- Phan Rang railway, linking to the national railway system.
+ To upgrade Da Lat railway station and other stations on the routes in service of passenger and cargo transportation, linking to the national railway system.
+ To upgrade the existing Lien Khuong airport into an international one.
+ To exploit and upgrade Cam Ly airport into a high-grade airport to be used exclusively for small special planes, helicopters and some types of sport and tourist aircraft.
- Organization of traffic:
+ To organize a belt route linking external traffic axes along the East-West direction (national highways No. 20 and No. 27 to Phan Rang; provincial road 725 to Ta Nung, linking to national highway No. 27) and North-South direction (provincial road 723 to Nha Trang; and national highway No. 20 to Ho Chi Minh City).
+ To organize mass transit routes and diversified forms of special-use traffic in service of visitors to scenic places in Da Lat and adjacent areas such as stagecoaches, trams, taxis or overpasses for pedestrians.
+ The telepheric route from Dan Kia lake to the top of Lang Bian mountain and from the access gate of Da Lat city to Tuyen Lam lake.
+ The monorail route around the central area in service of mass transit cum tourism.
+ To organize a system of parking lots in service of the municipal traffic, especially in the concentrated construction sites, trade centers, squares and the downtown.
b/ On land technical preparations:
- Ground leveling: To keep the natural terrain intact as much as possible, avoiding large-scale digging and embankment.
- To ensure that the newly-built roads stick fast to the landline, only to conduct sectional ground leveling for the creation of a road surface with slope.
- To restore and dig some more lakes in order to create landscape such as Me Linh lake, Van Kiep lake, Da Thien lakes No. 1, 2 and 3; to build Cam Ly lakes No.1, 2, 3 and 4 as well as Truong Son, Xuan Son and Tram Hanh lakes.
c/ On electricity supply:
- The supply source: shall be the national electric power grid and local electric power stations. To build 110 KV power-lines and Da Lat 1, Da Lat 2 and Suoi Vang 110/22 KV transformer stations.
- To renovate and develop the power distribution network to meet the city’s socio-economic development demand.
d/ On water supply:
- The water source to be supplied to inner city shall be the surface water source of Dan Kia and Chien Thang lakes.
- The water source to be supplied to suburban area shall be the reservoirs for water treatment.
- The daily-life water supply norm: 150 liters/person/day and 300 liters/tourist/day.
e/ On communication, post and telecommunications:
- To modernize the communication network, perfect the regional post-office network with a service radius of between 1.5 and 2 km for each post office, and public telephone network, develop post and telecommunications services.
- To modernize the radio and television broadcasting system, broaden the coverage.
d/ On waste water discharge and environmental hygiene:
- To build a new waste water- discharge and treatment system in the inner city. The waste water in suburban and adjacent areas shall be treated on the spot with septic tanks.
- Projected location for the construction of biological lakes: to adjust the lakes into the landscape lakes and preliminarily clean water before it run through Cam Ly waterfall.
- To locate slaughter-houses concentratedly to the downstream of Cam Ly waterfall so as to ensure the environmental hygiene and facilitate waste treatment.
- Management of solid wastes:
+ The existing garbage dump in Buon Bi hamlet occupies an area of 10 ha and may be expanded; to reserve a land fund for dumps with an area of around 50 ha, including the garbage-treatment sites in Dan Kia- Suoi Vang and Tuyen Lam lake- tourist resorts. To build a garbage- treating factory.
+ To work out plan for the relocation of the nuclear reactor and nuclear waste to suitable places, at least 20 km far away from the city and population quarters, and compatible with the national atomic energy development strategy.
+ To continue using the 8 existing cemeteries. To stop the burial in the other graveyards, which shall be relocated step by step according to drawing plans; the Ma Thanh cemetery shall be cleared for the building of a sport and cultural park.
+ To build a new cemetery in Buon Bi hamlet and a crematory in Du Sinh zone, ward 5.
7. Planning for the first-phase construction to 2005:
To take initiative in applying measures to preserve, renovate and develop natural landscapes, tourist sites, ecology and environment, ensuring that Da Lat deserves a tourist and convalescence center of national and international stature.
a/ The inner city:
- To complete and build the urban technical infrastructure projects such as the external traffic routes, to upgrade the internal routes; to build parking lots, prepare technical conditions, water supply, and environmental hygiene and relocate a number of cemeteries from the inner city.
- To organize and arrange vegetable- or flower-growing zones in the inner city and build a high-grade vegetable processing factory.
- To build a number of key projects and new public centers such as seminar and conference centers, trade centers, central sport complex, schools, radio and television stations, parks, squares, Da Lat symbol, and Vietnamese nationalities’ and Central Highlands’ cultural complexes.
- To renovate a number of residential quarters with unsuitable architecture and relocate a number of houses along streams under the resettlement and water drainage system -renovation programs. To preserve and restore valuable architectural projects and natural landscapes in the area subject to the urban embellishment planning.
- To build a number of new residential quarters under various projects.
- To embellish and exploit old villas, especially in the architecture preservation zone.
- To develop the tourist resorts of Tuyen Lam lake-, Cam Ly- Mang Lin, the Love Valley, Prenn and Datanla waterfalls.
b/ The suburban and adjacent areas:
- To develop the southern industrial parks near Lien Khuong airport.
- To renovate traffic routes to Ho Chi Minh City and Nha Trang, the Ho Chi Minh road and Lien Khuong international airport.
- To organize centers for vegetable- or flower- growing and processing for export, and cow raising.
- To consolidate the system of major technical infrastructure projects in the related areas.
- To develop Dan Kia- Suoi Vang, Tuyen Lam- Nui Voi (Elephant Mountain) tourist resorts.
- To renovate, upgrade and build traffic routes to the tourist and convalescence sites such as the Da Lat- Dan Kia- Suoi Vang route, Place III- Tuyen Lam route and Da Lat- Lang Bian route, and technical infrastructure in the tourist sites.
Article 2.- To assign the People’s Committee of Lam Dong province the following responsibilities:
a/ To approve the design dossier of the readjusted general planning of Da Lat City and its adjacent areas to 2020.
b/ To reach agreement with the Ministry of Construction in order to elaborate and promulgate the Regulation on management of construction under the general planning of Da Lat city and its adjacent areas to 2020.
c/ To publicize the said planning for the people to know, inspect and implement it; to organize the implementation of the above-mentioned planning according to current regulations; to organize the making of a model giving an overview of the inner Da Lat city.
d/ To coordinate with the concerned ministries and branches in elaborating, considering and approving the specialized and detailed plannings on the centers and important functional quarters as well as construction investment projects for urban development according to law provisions.
Article 3.- This Decision takes effect 15 days after its signing.
The presidents of the People’s Committees of Lam Dong province, the ministers, the heads of the ministerial-level agencies, the heads of the agencies attached to the Government and concerned organizations shall have to implement this Decision.
For the Prime Minister