Laws of the People's Republic of China
[Database Search] [Name Search] [Noteup] [Help]
Dissemination of and education in the legal system, which began in 1986, has been going on for ten years and has played a positive role in enhancing the whole nation's understanding of the legal system, promoting the development of socialist democracy and the socialist legal system and ensuring success in reform and the open policy and progress of the socialist modernization drive. In order to meet the need of building and improving the system of a socialist market economy and promoting fulfillment of the Ninth Five-Year Plan for national economic and social development and attainment of the Outline of the Long-Range Objectives through the Year 2010, the Standing Committee of the National People's Congress believes that it is necessary to implement a third five-year plan (1996-2000) for dissemination of and education in the legal system among citizens. The purpose is, through continued and deepened dissemination of and education in the legal system, focusing on the Constitution, the basic laws and the knowledge of laws governing the socialist market economy, to further enhance all citizens' conception of the legal system and their awareness of the importance of laws, help cadres at all levels steadily raise their level and increase their ability of handling matters and administering affairs in accordance with law, see to it that acts mut be compatible with the existing laws, laws must be enforced strictly and any violation of law must be investigated, and push forward the process of administering State affairs according to law and building the country under a socialist legal system. Hence, the Standing Committee has adopted the resolution as follows:
1. All citizens who are able to do so should receive publicity of and education in the legal system and carefully study the Constitution and acquire knowledge of the relevant laws, so that they will be able to understand the laws, observe them and protect the lawful rights and interests of the State, the collective and the individual in accordance with law.
2. Leading cadres at all levels, senior leading cardres in particular, should take the lead in studying the Constitution and acquiring knowledge of the laws, abiding by the Constitution and laws and handling matters strictly in accordance with law, so that they will make policy decisions and administer affairs according to law.
Cadre schools of all types and at all levels should make education in the legal system a required course. When examining or appraising their cadres, all departments and local authorities should see whether they have acquired the necessary knowledge of laws and whether they can handle matters strictly in accordance with law, which should be made one of the major qualifications.
3. Law-enforcing officers of judicial organs and administrative law- enforcing organs should, according to need of their work, receive training in the knowledge of laws, proficiently master and apply the laws and rules and regulations as required by their own jobs, enhance their own understanding of laws and perform their duties in accordance with law, so that they can administer affairs according to law and execute justice impartially.
4. Managers and administers of enterprises and institutions should make mastery of the knowledge of the laws governing the socialist market economy a necessary qualification and study the relevant laws, rules and regulations in connection with the actual conditions of their own enterprise or institution, so that they can manage or administer affairs strictly in accordance with law, conscientiously observe market order and safeguard public interests.
5. Teenagers should acquire the necessary knowledge of laws. Universities, colleges, secondary schools (including the secondary technical schools) and primary schools should all offer education in the legal system. Organizations at the grassroots level should pay attention to education in the general knowledge of laws among teenagers in society at large.
6. Vivid dissemination of and education in the legal system should be conducted in different forms to suit the different characteristics of people and stress should be placed on actual results. Departments of culture, the press, publishing, radio, television and film should give full play to the important role of the mass media and actively disseminate and conduct education in the legal system.
7. Dissemination of and education in the legal system should be conducted in connection with the application of the system and the actual economic and social development and with the aim of promoting the lawful management of all undertakings. Lawful administration of the affairs of a village, town, county, city or province and lawful management of different trades and departments should be promoted with the high aim of administering State affairs according to law in mind.
8. Implementation of the third five-year plan for disseminating and conducting education in the legal system among citizens and its continued and deepened dissemination and education are the common obligation of the society as a whole and must be accomplished under the leadership of the Chinese Communist Party and by mobilizing and relying on all sectors of the society. All State organs and armed forces, all political parties and public organizations, and all enterprises and institutions should conscientiously disseminate and conduct education in the legal system among citizens working in there. The standing committees of the people's congresses and the people's governments at all levels should exercise firm leadership and supervision over the implementation of the plan and this Resolution and take effective measures to carry out the work steadily as a regular practice and make it a rule, so that studying and applying laws and handling matters in accordance with law will become a social conduct throughout the society and a good legal environment will be created for reform and the open policy and for the socialist modernization drive.